Friday, November 14, 2014

Social Media And Why We Are Seeing Targeted Ads On Our Facebook?

Facebook is always watching
Why is Malaysia airlines Ad on my Facebook Home feed today? Why am I seeing targeted Ads (Sponsored Ads) about charities, volunteering, community services, social media, fashion, shoes and Zen Bedding on the right next to my Facebook wall timeline? I am about to show and tell you why?


I wanted to write about this topic to demonstrate from a social media perspective what really goes on behind the scenes on Facebook. I wanted to keep this simple so I wont be using the technical jargon. Once you read this article and see the screen shots of my Facebook today, you may be some what more an enlightened Facebook user. To click ads, or not to click? That is the question. It is your choice :D
Sign Up For Facebook - Big Brother is watching you

Facebook monitors every one, every thing and every word on every status post. This is common knowledge and most people do know that any upload to Facebook, information including photos is owned by you as they state, however it is owned by Facebook too. After all, if you read the terms and conditions including the data policy when you signed up you will know all about this already.

So because in the past I have mentioned Malaysia air lines many times on my wall and I also used a magic key word "Flying", this is the real reason why I'm seeing this ad. The Ads to the right of your Facebook wall timeline are ads which at specifically targeted to suit you as you have posted on your wall about a relevant key word which triggers a targeted response showing ads that you are likely to click on since they are based on what you wrote on Facebook.
Example 1 of Facebook post with key words that trigger a targeted Ad (Sponsored Ad)
In this first example of my Facebook post you can see key words that trigger targeted Ads (Sponsored Ads.)

On the right of your wall where you see ads its usually an ad designed to appeal to you or what you are into. These sponsored ads are businesses including Facebook or individuals who pay Facebook to target specific key words, behaviors of uses and stats about a user and their habits.

Example 2:
Take a look at the key words "Community Services" also take note of this ad designed for me as I mentioned studying doing a course in Community Services. Here we see the targeted ad for a course related to mine.

Example 3:
Here is my post with the "key word" Fashion.



Well what do you know?
A Fashion Ad is right there on my wall!
Not one, not two, but six already today.










Example 4:
This post got more than just one targeted ad. It was a double wammy!


Up pops a few new ads.
This time an ad about social media. Although the words"Social Media" are not mentioned in this ad, SEO is related and also related to my work I do online. In Another Facebook post I was talking about building a new website. My Facebook activity is constantly scanned for my interests. It's no surprise that this targeted ad was there just for me and a million other people in this industry. lol





On Facebook I have recently been very verbal about community services as you can see in the screen shots, hence this ad "help homeless families."

The key words "community Services" also have appropriate words which come under this umbrella.
Children, help, homeless, families, Australian as seen in this ad.
"Christmas" is also a key word and in the last week I have mentioned all of these word in my posts on Facebook.



Example 5:
Here is another example of my Facebook post with two key words "Community Services" and "Volunteer"



BINGO!!!!!!!
Volunteer on sunday or monday blah blah blah.









Example 6:
My post was related to some bed time reading as I am currently reading Malala's book. I wrote a blog about this brave young woman.
Click here >> Malala Yousafzai Youngest Winner Of Nobel Peace Prize



Zen bedding pops up so now you fully get the drift. The shoe ad was also triggered by a post I wrote on Facebook about my "feet". lol




This is not only a Facebook thing as you can see from my Twitter screenshot.



I'ts certainly an eye opener and I suggest that next time you are on Facebook, go see it for your self.

Special Note: This blog was for demonstration purposes only so any charity or community services ad shown on this blog is a worthy cause. I have unconditional love to give. I support many people and charities and have been a volunteer with st vincent de paul society. I am currently studying community services.


If you need a blog,exclusive interview blog, social media, marketing, media management, promo or a website,  please drop us a line and follow on twitter. You may even like to keep up to date with this blog on Facebook.

n1ki Blog Utopia magazine www.n1ki.blogspot.com.au
Nicole Stewart #niki on twitter @1angelniki
Utopiaau @utopiaau
Facebook www.facebook.com/utopiaau.utopiamagazine
Contact us









0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Newwpthemes downloaded from amazetemplates.com